Thursday, September 6, 2012

Followup on DOTM bull call spread and DITM bull put spread

Thanks so much, Kenneth.  In fact, I don't believe we truly are on opposite sides of the discussion; I believe, rather, that our methodology or understanding or practice may differ.  My position (opinion) remains as it was all along: that OTM bull call strategies are the opposite of ITM bull put strategies, both from the point of view of debit vs. credit, and the deltas being positive vs negative, respectively.  Now, to address some participants' assertion that they are "the same," because they complement each other (call delta 0.01 vs. put delta -0.99=1) is not what my argument is all about.  My position has been all along that in an OTM bull call spread with a tiny delta, the underlying stock would have to make an enormous move to the upside for that delta to respond, and for the spread to increase in price, and therefore be favorable to the buyer; while a similar enormous move to the upside on the ITM put spread would substantially decrease the cost of the put spread in favor of the seller, because of the delta near -1, that implies an almost 1:1 move of the options in relation to a move in the stock.  Both positions are bullish.  The call spread costs very little to enter, true, but would require too high a move to be influenced positively; while the opposite is true for the put. 

Whether my understanding of deltas (and thetas, in this case because of the very short expiry) is supported by the other participants in this debate is irrelevant.  This has been a hypothetical position all along, as I repeat, I would never select a front-month expiry for such positions, and I almost never, ever buy OTM calls.  My own methodology, if I wish to buy calls, especially OTM calls, would be to go very far off into the future to allow them time to fulfill their promise.  I'm generous that way.  As stated previously, my own preference in regards to puts is to do OTM naked puts or bull put spreads, but OTM (at a price less than the current stock price).

My hypothetical positions on AAPL, the subject of this debate, have been placed as a virtual trade on a great new platform that is currently a private beta, going public in the near future (preferred browsers include Chrome/Safari/Firefox).  To see my two spreads dance to the music in real time, please click on http://www.tradeclique.com/trader/yaelt#yael.

Another reminder of my preferences is that I generally do not wait for expiration.  I got burned badly in the 1999-2000 dot.com.  Whether it costs more or less in commissions is irrelevant to my peace of mind.  In the hypothetical ITM bull put spread above, since it was placed with a view that AAPL would make a substantial move to the upside by the Sep. 12 unveiling of a new iPhone, my preference would be to close down my put spread as soon as it presented a "significant" profit. I put that in quotations because I cannot tell you what I would consider significant, as to time to expiry is so short.  However, again, hypothetically, since I received a credit of $1800 for this trade, I might consider buying it back to close at, say, $1200 or so, being quite delighted with a profit of $600 in a few days' time (we placed this hypothetical trade around the beginning of Sep.).

No comments:

Post a Comment