Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Adjusting the Legs



Image representing Netflix as depicted in Crun...

Yesterday, I set up a Strangle With a Twist on Netflix (NFLX) right before earnings.  NFLX came out with earnings which were very positive, but "guided" lower.  The stock dropped in after-hour trading, and is trading considerably lower this morning, down about $16.75 at this writing.

Recall that I had two spreads on the stock: May 2011 $260-$265 Bull Call Spread and the May 2011 $235-$240 Bull Put Spread.  Both spreads are bullish; both spreads were set to expire May 2011.

With the stock currently down about $16.75, the call options are trading lower (the call options are currently out of the money - OTM), while the put options are trading higher (the put options are currently in the money - ITM), I have executed a few adjustments, as follows:

I bought to close (BTC) the May 2011 $265 call options for $2.90 ($290 per contract).  I sold them yesterday at $9.75 ($975 per contract), so my profit on this leg is $6.85 ($685 per contract).  That leaves a Long Call at the $260 strike expiring May 2011.  This is a Long Call (Long means that I own this position), therefore, there is no Margin Requirement.

I sold to close (STC) the May 2011 $235 put options for $10.35 ($1,035 per contract).  I bought them yesterday at $8.25 (of $825 per contract), so my profit on this leg is $2.10 ($210 per contract).  That leaves a Naked Put at the $240 strike expiring May 2011.  This is a naked position, therefore, there is a Margin Requirement of $5,977. 00.

Why did I adjust these legs?  From past experience, it seems that there is a knee-jerk reaction to negative news, and I am betting that the selling action is overdone, and the stock will recover.  So far, by removing those two legs (the short call* and the long put*), I have put $895 back into my account.  I opened both spreads yesterday at almost no cost to me.  My risk here is that the stock will not recover to the $240 strike naked put, in which case the stock will be put to me, and I will be obligated to buy it at the strike of $240 (refer to the lexicon for definitions).  As expiration approaches, I can reevaluate my position to see if the fundamentals of the stock are still interesting enough to wish to hold the stock, and if not, I can simply buy back to close that naked put, thereby relieving myself of that obligation.  In the event I do wish to allow the stock to be put to me, my break-even cost would be $240 (the strike price) less the profit of $895 I just realized, or $231.05.  Looking out to some long-term call options, selling a covered call would bring down the price even more.

With the stock currently trading at around $236, the $240 strike naked put is trading at around $12, which is $4 in the money (ITM) - $240-$236 - and a full $8 out of the money (OTM), or time value.  With May expiration being just 3 weeks away, the Theta of the option erodes extremely fast.  The Theta refers to how much value an option price will lose with every day that passes.  The closer to expiration, the faster an option loses value.

On May 11, 2011, the market started to jiggle (to the downside) a bit more than I like.  NFLX was trading up to $241, but then regressed down to $238, so I decided to roll out my naked puts to June 2011.  By rolling out, I closed (BTC) my May 2011 open position $240 Naked Put at $6.31 and opened (STO) a new June 2011 $240 Naked Put for $12.61, thus pocketing a profit on the May position of $3.74 ($374), and taking in a premium of $12.61 per contract ($1261) for the new June 2011 naked put.

No comments:

Post a Comment